Autumn soups always satisfy from Chef Pascal
When the air gets cooler, meals that offer warmth are added to the menus at Fox Hill. Chef Pascal is happy to share an owner favorite, his Fall Ragout. Try this Fox Hill favorite at home.
1/4 cup oil
1.5 lbs pearl onions
2 lbs gigante beans soaked overnight or any large white beans
1/4 cup crushed garlic
1 tablespoon, dried oregano
2 bay leaves
2 quarts vegetable broth or vegetable base and water
1 cans unsweetened coconut milk
2 lbs kuri squash cubed 1 inch, unpeeled (or any combination of seasonal squash)
2 lbs delicata squash cubed 1 inch, unpeeled
2 Cinnamon sticks
1 pinch of nutmeg
1/4 cup fresh chopped cilantro
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon toasted panch phoron (Indian spice available on amazon)
Chestnuts to garnish
1. Heat the oil over high heat in a large heavy pot.
2. Add garlic, squashes, oregano, bay leaves, cinnamon, panch phoron and nutmeg.
3. Stir to blend well. Cook for 5 minutes.
4. Add drained beans, vegetable broth, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer, add water if necessary, stirring occasionally, until beans are cooked for about 30-40 minutes.
5. Add onions and cook another 10 minutes.
6. Serve in bowls on a bed of rice and garnish with fresh cilantro and chestnuts.
Grab the ingredients and make a batch of ragout. Then come to Fox Hill to try the Chef’s version for comparison. We’ll be happy to host! Call Fox Hill’s sales team to schedule lunch (and a tour) at 301-383-9523.